Case against a man accused of killing six people



Here’s your morning update: an easy-to-read selection of our best stories. Stay up to date with The Citizen – More news, your way.

Daily news: October 12

Western Cape High Court rejects Mkhwebane’s bid for reinstatement

The Western Cape High Court has rejected Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane’s urgent offer to be reinstated immediately.

The court rejected Mkhwebane’s request, saying Ramaphosa’s decision to suspend Mkhwebane should be referred to the Constitutional Court for confirmation.

Mkhwebane was suspended by Ramaphosa a day after announcing her investigation into the Phala Phala Farm theft which took place in February 2020.

On September 9, the Western Cape High Court then ruled that the President’s decision to suspend Mkhwebane was unlawful and invalid.

The case against a man accused of killing six people has been postponed – facing just one murder charge

Sex workers protest outside the Johannesburg court as the man accused of murdering 6 sex workers appears on charges of murder, October 11, 2022. Photo: Neil McCartney/The Citizen

The case against a man who was arrested on Sunday after police discovered six decomposing bodies in a building in central Johannesburg has been adjourned until October 18.

The suspect made his first appearance in Johannesburg Magistrates Court on six counts of murder on Tuesday.

National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesman Phindi Mjonondwane said the suspect faces only one murder charge, instead of six as previously stated by the court. police.

Mjonondwane added that once further investigations are completed, further charges could be added.

Tier 2 Water Restrictions – What You Need To Know

Daily News - Tier 2 Restrictions
As Rand Water continues to implement Tier Two restrictions, residents of Gauteng have been urged to reduce consumption to allow reservoirs and towers to be replenished to critical levels.

As Rand Water continues to implement Tier Two restrictions, residents of Gauteng have been urged to reduce consumption to allow tanks and towers to be replenished to critical levels.

The utility put the restrictions in place last week to help conserve the precious resource in the province, which has seen levels drop due to demand and consumption.

Eskom’s deliberate power cuts have also hampered the pumping of much-needed water in Johannesburg, Ekurhuleni and Tshwane, and some areas have seen taps dry up.

Talk to The citizenRand Water spokesman Makenosi Maroo, said the restrictions apply to all provinces, including Johannesburg, Tshwane and Ekurhuleni, with no exemptions.

WATCH: Half of Durban in darkness after substation explosion

Half of Durban in the dark following the explosion of a substation

An explosion at Klaarwater’s 275kV main substation caused widespread power outage across half of Durban.

The substation would be a key supply point to Durban from Eskom.

According to eThekwini municipality On Tuesday evening, areas in the northern, western and southern regions of the city are still without power.

The municipality has urged residents to turn off “unnecessary” loads like aircons and geysers.

“This will help restore supplies without overload tripping. It is safer to switch off at DB to prevent power surges from damaging appliances,” he said.

‘Your home, your responsibility’ – Government responds to free water and lights for ministers

Photo: iStock

Whereas government clarified that no taxpayers’ money was used to pay for electricity and water for the official residences of government ministers, there are few details on the removal of a R5,000 cap on municipal public services for civil servants.

There has been widespread outrage following reports that ministers and deputy ministers are exempt from paying tariffs despite earning at least R2 million a year.

The Democratic Alliance (DA) said he wanted a review of how amendments detailing benefits for ministers and their deputies can be changed by President Cyril Ramaphosa without consulting anyone.

ALSO READ: Ramaphosa ‘hid’ the fact that taxpayers would pay for ministers’ water, electricity and generators – DA

Helen Zille to sue Joburg chairman Makhubele for defamation

'GogoZille' to sue Joburg Council Chairman Makhubele for defamation
Helen Zille, President of the AD Federal Council. Photo: Nigel Sibanda

Democratic Alliance (DA) Federal President Helen Zille is suing newly elected Johannesburg Council President Colleen Makhubele for defamation.

Zille said ENCA Makhubele’s claims went too far when she accused her of trying to get her hands on Johannesburg’s 70 billion rand budget.

According to a report in The star, Makhubele said she had had enough of Zilleon the city council, calling her an “arrogant bull”.

Bianca Naidoo’s Efforts to Be Recognized as Riky’s ‘Wife’ Set to Get Green Light – Report

Daly Update: Riky Rick
In August, a report claimed that Bianca Naidoo was filing a lawsuit seeking to be named executor of Riky Rick’s estate.

After fans were left speechless that the late Rikhado “Riky Rick” Makhado was never officially married to the mother of his children, Bianca Naidoo, an update on his attempts to be the executor of his succession was given.

In August, a report claimed she was filing a lawsuit seeking to be named executor of his estate.

Naidoo wanted to be recognized as his legal wife.

According to a report published by Sunday worldNaidoo faced Joburg High Court Master and Home Secretary Aaron Motsoaledi.

It has now been reported by EWNthat the Home Office abandoned its attempt to prevent Naidoo from being recognized as his legal wife.

Rugby World Cup boss sacked over ‘alarming’ management issues

Daily news update
World Cup CEO Claude Atcher (centre) has been removed from his post. Photo: Getty Images

The general manager of the Rugby World Cup 2023Claude Atcher, was sacked by tournament organizers on Tuesday after being suspended in August by France’s sports minister due to “alarming managerial practices”.

A preliminary investigation into Atcher’s management style found evidence of “deep social malaise” within the organization.

READ ALSO : Bok women confident they can fight back against Fiji at World Cup

Atcher’s suspension was ratified by the French Rugby Federation, French Olympic officials and the French government following a meeting of the board of directors of the 2023 tournament organizing committee on Monday.

ALSO READ: Daily News Update: Zuma vs Maughan, Load Shedding Returns & Gauteng Heatwave

About Mitchel McMillan

Check Also

TAKE A LOOK | Netcare auctions off two of its former hospitals in Joburg

Netcare Clinton Hospital (Supplied) Netcare’s Union and Clinton hospitals, both south of Johannesburg, will go …