To provide our community with important public safety information, the Statesman Journal is making this daily coronavirus update free to read. To support important local journalism like this, please consider becoming a digital subscriber.
We’ll update this story throughout the day with the latest news on the coronavirus and its effects in Oregon on Wednesday, May 26.
Variants of COVID-19 identified in Brazil, South Africa, growing in Oregon
A COVID-19 strain first identified in the UK remains the main variant of concern in Oregon.
But other worrisome variants are multiplying faster.
On Wednesday, the Oregon Health Authority reported 142 cases of variant P.1, first reported in Brazil, an 82% increase from last Wednesday.
It reported 80 cases of the B.1.351 variant, first identified in South Africa, a 43% increase from last week.
It reported 983 cases of variant B.1.1.7, first identified in the UK, a 37% increase from last week.
And it reported 945 combined cases of the two California variants (B.1.427 and B.1.429), up 9% from last week.
Cases of a variant first identified in India, B.1.617.2, also increased from four to six. The variant was first reported in Oregon on May 12.
Health officials say all of these variants are worrying because they spread more easily and can cause more serious illness.
All reported cases are only a fraction of the actual number, as states are only testing a small percentage of cases for variants.
COVID-19 in numbers
Here is the most recent data from the Oregon Health Authority, as of Tuesday, May 25.
- 2628: Death of COVID-19.
- 199,391: total number of cases.
- 274: Hospitalized patients.
Oregon COVID-19 Cases by County
Here is the number of cases, tested positive and suspected, and deaths as of Tuesday, May 25.
- Baker: 964 cases, 15 deaths.
- Benton: 3,171 cases, 21 deaths.
- Clackamas: 18,080 cases, 219 deaths.
- Clatsop: 1,004 cases, 8 deaths.
- Colombia: 1,800 cases, 29 deaths.
- Coos: 2,134 cases, 35 deaths.
- Crook: 1187 cases, 22 deaths.
- Curry: 661 cases, 10 deaths.
- Deschutes: 9,490 cases, 78 deaths.
- Douglas: 3,454 cases, 73 deaths.
- Gilliam: 63 cases, 1 death.
- Grant: 529 cases, 6 deaths.
- Harney: 366 cases, 8 deaths.
- Hood River: 1,199 cases, 31 deaths.
- Jackson: 11,144 cases, 143 deaths.
- Jefferson: 2,282 cases, 37 deaths.
- Joséphine: 3,434 cases, 71 deaths.
- Klamath: 4,627 cases, 71 deaths.
- Lac: 461 cases, 7 deaths.
- Lane: 13,396 cases, 151 deaths.
- Lincoln: 1,396 cases, 21 deaths.
- Linn: 5,259 cases, 74 deaths.
- Misfortune: 3,547 cases, 63 deaths.
- Marion: 22,625 cases, 312 deaths.
- Morrow: 1,123 cases, 16 deaths.
- Multnomah: 39,241 cases, 596 deaths.
- Polk: 3,849 cases, 53 deaths.
- Sherman: 59 cases, 1 death.
- Tillamook: 659 cases, 3 deaths.
- Umatilla: 8,349 cases, 86 deaths.
- Union: 1,460 cases, 23 deaths.
- Wallowa: 187 cases, 5 deaths.
- Wasco: 1,406 cases, 28 deaths.
- Washington: 26,155 cases, 234 deaths.
- Wheeler: 34 cases, 1 death.
- Yamhill: 4,596 cases, 76 deaths.
Source: Oregon Health Authority